The scheme is broadly based on the Sustainable Bee scheme in Bungay and aims to:
- Support efforts to halt the decline of the honey bee in England
- Promote the concept of community supported agriculture
- Engage its members and the wider community with the theory and practice of beekeeping
- Train its members, where possible, in formal beekeeping skills, and encourage the spread of small-scale beekeeping
- Provide a focus for community activity, and encourage social engagement
- Provide honey and other produce for its members
Norwich Community Bees is a democratic venture and members will be entitled and encouraged to take an active part in the decision making process.